Friday, November 23, 2012

The Eucharist and the Ring


I am a big Lord of the Rings fan, so I rather enjoyed the following insight made by Leah Libresco: 


 "The final sacrament received is the Eucharist. For some sects of Christianity, the central point of their worship is the homily, when the priest/reverend/etc interprets Scripture. For Catholics and Orthodox (and some Lutherans and Anglicans) the whole point of the Mass is not bible study, but direct contact with the Risen Christ, fully present in the Eucharist. This is probably not the best metaphor, but think of it as the good version of the moment in Lord of the Rings when Frodo cries out "I am naked in the dark, Sam, there is no veil between me and the wheel of fire! I begin to see it even with my waking eyes." Um, except here you have all that intensity, except the Person you're face to face with is infinitely good, and instead of a burning ring, it's the Beatific Vision, and, y'know, there's a reason I'm not in charge of catechesis."

 -Leah Libresco

No comments:

Post a Comment