Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Scott Hahn Conversion Story


Here following is the transcript of a talk given by Scott Hahn outlining his journey of faith, a journey that took him from being a fervent Presbyterian minister and Professor of Theology at a major Protestant seminary to become a Roman Catholic Theologian and internationally known apologist for the Catholic Church. Through study and prayer Scott Hahn came to realize that the truth of the Catholic Church is firmly rooted in Scripture.

It is so good to be with you this morning. It's always a delightful surprise. I never cease to be amazed at the opportunity I have to share why I became a Roman Catholic and how the Lord worked in my wife's life and our family as well.
That always reminds me of one of my favorite stories. There was a young man who wanted in the worst way to ask out a beautiful young lady. It took him weeks to get up enough courage, and when he finally asked her out she said, "Yes." He was shocked and delighted. That Saturday morning arrived, and he got ready in so many ways: showered for a long time, tried to figure out what to wear, then he decided to give her a big surprise. He went down to the drug store. He walked up to the druggist behind the counter and announced, "I would like to buy a one pound box of chocolate, a two pound box and a three pound box." And the druggist bent down, got them and put them on the counter and said, "Do you mind if I ask you why you are buying three different size boxes?" "No I don't mind." And he proceeded to explain. He said, "Tonight's the night, special date, beautiful young lady, and if before the date is through she lets me hold her hand, she gets the one pound box. And if at the movie when I slyly slip my arm around her and she lets it remain there, she gets the two pound box. And if as we are exchanging goodnights she lets me give her a kiss, she gets the three pound box. The druggist said, "Sly old guy, you have a good time."

He was off and he was so nervous he showed up at this young lady's house a half hour early. She came to the door and said, "We're just sitting down to dinner." He said, "Can I join you?" "Sure, I guess." And he sat down. Then he said, "Can I say grace?" And they said, "Sure." He proceeded to pray for a minute, for three minutes, five minutes. Finally after ten minutes, the man said, "Amen." He kind of looked around, a little awkward, and they proceeded to eat what was by then a cold and stale dinner. On the way out the door she whispered, "You never told me you were so religious." He whispered back, "You never told me your dad was the druggist."

Life is filled with unexpected surprises, and it's a delight and a surprise for me to share how I came to see the Roman Catholic Church to be the family of God that He wants all of His children to share in. Fulton Sheen once said, and I paraphrase, that there are not 100 people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church, although there might be millions of people who hate what they mistakenly believe the Catholic Church to be and to teach. And thankfully I discovered I fell into the second category. Because for years I opposed the Catholic Church, and I worked hard to get Catholics to leave the Church. But I came to see through a lot of study and considerable prayer that the Roman Catholic Church is based in Scripture.


Teenage Conversion To Jesus

That's what I'd like to share with you this morning. It begins with a conversion experience that I had in high school. I didn't grow up in a strong Christian family. We didn't go to church very often, and so I wasn't very religious. What the Lord used in my life was an organization called Young Life, an outreach to unchurched high school kids, and a man named Jack in particular who befriended me and also shared with me the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It made a profound difference in my life.

Continue Reading Dr. Hahn's Story Here! (Link)


Scott Hahn's Books

Scott Hahn's return appearence on the Journey Home provided belowin 6 parts.



View the rest by following the links below.

Scott Hahn on the Journey Home 2/6
Scott Hahn on the Journey Home 3/6
Scott Hahn on the Journey Home 4/6
Scott Hahn on the Journey Home 5/6
Scott Hahn on the Journey Home 6/6

No comments:

Post a Comment